The positive effect of natural daylight in our homes and working environments has long been acknowledged. In terms of its impact on health and wellbeing, studies of the type, quality and pattern of lighting have shown how reduced levels can affect mood, alertness, co-ordination, eye and brain function, blood pressure and cardiovascular efficiency.
Roof windows can, therefore, play a major role in ensuring that our bodies derive the full benefit from daylight and consequently maximise generation of Vitamin D and serotonin. By contrast, for the 2% of those in the UK who experience ‘Seasonal Affective Disorder’ (SAD), a clinically diagnosed condition causing general malaise and linked directly to a lack of natural light, the ability to offset such symptoms invariably requires medication.
FAKRO has long since considered effective light transmission to be a key feature of roof window design. This prompted its team of more than 100 engineers to make positive innovations such as positioning the vent in the top of the frame and operating handle in the base of the sash. In conjunction with key changes in manufacturing techniques, the net result was enlargement of the glazing area by more than 10%.
Working alongside leading glazing manufacturers the company has now been able to develop its latest innovation in the form of a double-glazing unit which provides 5% more efficient light transmittance. Overall, this has improved the level from around 70% to 75%.
Control of solar gain and heat loss is achieved through the precision of frame construction, use of shrink-resistant seals and a vent activated by changes in atmospheric pressure.
As a result, FAKRO roof windows maintain a high level of thermal efficiency and internal temperature while all but eradicating any chance of thermal bridging. The increase in visible light transmission has been achieved largely through adoption of the latest advances in low emissivity coating technology. This has also enabled the amount of ultraviolet and infrared light that passes through the glazing to be reduced.
To learn more about the benefits of FAKRO roof windows, ask your local builders merchants who will be able to advise you about their exceptional features.
Alternatively, you can speak to your local FAKRO representative by finding their details here: https://www.fakro.co.uk/
For advice and information, talk the technical team. There’s a wealth of information on fakro.co.uk – or call 0333 600 9090.