As we enter Autumn and condensation and mould season, leading British ventilation manufacturer Vent-Axia is sharing ways to help take care of your lungs and protect your household from indoor air pollution.
Indoor air pollution can affect lung health and is linked to increased risk of pneumonia, COPD and lung cancer. If an asthma sufferer has an allergic reaction to a pollutant in the air, this can also make asthma symptoms worse. Vent-Axia has been committed to protecting public health by improving indoor air quality since 1936. As part of this commitment, Vent-Axia is raising awareness of lung health.
Vent-Axia is trying to help the public create some breathing space by sharing seven useful tips that will help them take care of their lungs. For people with lung conditions, good indoor air quality (IAQ) is especially important. We are all more aware of our lungs and the air we breathe since the COVID pandemic. Key to tackling indoor air pollution and improving IAQ is to ‘reduce – dilute – purify’ and so Vent-Axia is sharing the following seven tips to help take care of your lungs:
- Reduce the use of aerosols and use eco-friendly cleaning products: Un-perfumed products with lower VOCs (volatile organic compounds) produce fewer pollutants, making the air in your home healthier to breathe in.
- Don’t smoke and avoid anyone smoking indoors: Since smoking can rapidly lower indoor air quality. Smoking increases the risk of lung cancer and is linked to other lung diseases, including COPD, idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, and asthma.
- Don’t forget to ventilate: Use mechanical ventilation to remove polluted or humid air from the home, particularly when cooking, cleaning or taking a shower. By ensuring air is always fresh, mechanical ventilation creates an environment where unhealthy condensation and mould find it hard to exist. For example, Vent-Axia’s Lo-Carbon PureAir Sense features odour sense technology extracting polluted air from homes.
- Stay active: Staying active helps your lungs stay healthy.
- Breathe Deeply: Deep breathing can help rid the lungs of accumulated stale air, increase oxygen levels and allows the diaphragm to help you breathe.
- Take time in nature: If you have a park or some green space nearby spend some time relaxing outside, or try forest bathing, breathing deeply while being quiet and calm among the trees can reduce stress, boosting health and wellbeing. (If you are an allergy sufferer, check the pollen and pollution levels first.)
- Use an air purifier: An air purifier, like the Vent-Axia PureAir Room or the Vent-Axia PureAir Room 500 X, will remove pollutants from the air in your home. Purifying the air, you and your family breathe for a fresher and healthier indoor environment, air purifiers filter out a wide range of particles including mould, dust, viruses, VOCs, PM2.5, bacteria, pollen and allergens while neutralising bad smells.
“The COVID Pandemic brought into sharp focus the importance of the air we breathe. It is vital to always love your lungs and our seven simple tips are designed to help everyone make small changes that can have a big impact on their indoor air quality and lung health. This is especially important as we enter Autumn, since we spend more time indoors and have an increased risk of condensation and mould in the home”, explains Lena Hebestreit, Marketing Manager at Vent-Axia.
“To improve indoor air quality there are three main actions to take: Reduce the number of pollutants introduced into the air; Dilute the pollutants in the air by ensuring there is adequate ventilation introducing fresh clean air; and Purify by adding an air purifier to remove the remaining pollutants from the air.”
We spend more than 90% of our time indoors, breathing up to 50 times more polluted air than outdoors. Indoor air can contain over 900 chemicals, particulates, biological materials, viruses and bacteria. Each of us breathes 9,000 litres a day with poor IAQ affecting the health of everyone in our homes. It is therefore vital to reduce indoor air pollution by reducing the number of pollutants put into the air, diluting the pollutants in the air with effective ventilation and then purifying the air by adding an air purifier to remove the remaining pollutants from the air you breathe.
At Vent-Axia we have a range of air purifiers which are an effective way of improving IAQ and helping households breathe more easily. Vent-Axia’s PureAir Room air purifier provides advanced air purification in the home and is an easy and low maintenance option to improve IAQ and create a healthy breathing space in the home. It cleanses the air removing harmful particles, neutralising bad smells and removing pollen and pet allergens, for a fresher and healthier home. Designed with an advanced 6-stage filtration system, the PureAir Room filters out mould, dust, viruses, PM2.5, VOCs, pet allergens and odours with its High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filter removing 99.9% of particles. Working automatically, it senses the air quality and delivers increased filtration when needed. It can also be set manually and has a timer that can run the unit for a specified number of hours before turning off.
Vent-Axia has recently extended its air purification range with the launch of the Vent-Axia PureAir Room 500 X which is aimed at larger homes and commercial premises, such as schools, offices, hotels, gyms, surgeries, and care homes.
Partnering with CodiKoat, who have developed the fastest ISO certified antimicrobial and antiviral coating technology in the world, the PureAir Room 500 X features an advanced seven-stage air cleaning system, offering a healthier and safer environment with its ground-breaking CodiKoat HEPA PLUS filter.
This medical grade H13 HEPA filter contains an advanced coating, a unique nano treatment, certified to ISO 18184:2019 (determination of antiviral activity of textile products) by independent labs, which kills 99.99% of viruses, bacteria, and fungi within seconds of contact – making it the world’s fastest ISO certified antimicrobial and antiviral HEPA filter. The PureAir Room 500 X creates healthier spaces to live and work in.
Effective mechanical ventilation is also essential for good IAQ. The Vent-Axia PureAir Sense fan is equipped with a pioneering odour sensor that increases airflow when the air is poor, helping ensure a comfortable living environment and improving the air households breathe.
PureAir Sense also features an intelligent, fully automatic humidistat for moisture control that means the fan learns to run only when it can make a difference to IAQ. The fan offers very quiet and highly efficient operation.
By ensuring air is always fresh, it creates an environment where unhealthy condensation and mould find it hard to exist. Low noise levels of just 19 dB(A) on low trickle makes for a more pleasant indoor environment too.
It is vital to always love your lungs, by making some simple changes you can protect yourself and others by ventilating and purifying your home to improve the air you breathe.
For up-to-date ventilation guidance and further simple tips to tackle indoor air pollution visit: www.vent-axia.com/healthyhomes.
For further information on all products and services offered by Vent-Axia, telephone +44 (0)344 856 0590 or visit www.vent-axia.com.